Do you think you have little in common with St. Therese? Think again.
If I’ve learned anything in writing Trusting God with St. Therese, it’s how much Therese’s struggles were like mine. Consider these points:
- Therese was born weakened by Original Sin.
- It took her years of grace and hard work to overcome family tragedy.
- She had difficulties relating to other children at school.
- She suffered from scruples.
- God repeatedly made her wait for things she believed were His will.
- Her family members misunderstood her spirituality.
- She felt natural aversion to people with difficult personalities.
- She feared losing her remaining loved ones.
- Spiritual darkness and dryness in prayer were her norm.
- Great deeds for God were beyond her capability.
- She suffered terrible pain.
- She was tempted to despair.
Now tell me that none of those sound like you.
Think you can’t become a saint? Think again.
Therese believed in the same God you do. He was her strength and her righteousness. He can be yours as well.