In this occasional series of posts, I recommend resources for you and your family in 100 words or less. More detailed reviews may come later.

BeautGolden Children's Bibleiful, traditional language. The Bible, slightly edited–not a book of paraphrased Bible stories. Artwork inspired by the masters. Perfect for narrations. Large, durable format. Nothing inappropriate for kids. The best children’s Bible I’ve seen–and I’ve seen a lot! A classic. Great Christmas gift for your grandkids or godchild.

Two criticisms: 1) Blond-haired Jesus. I view this as inculturation. 2) Follows the Protestant canon. You’ll have to supplement for the seven missing books.

Connie Rossini

Read other posts in this series: Time for God

Written by crossini4774

11 Comments

1. Gina November 16, 2012 at 8:55 am Reply

I clicked on the “inculturation” link. That was a very interesting piece on inculturation.

2. Tamara September 10, 2013 at 5:37 pm Reply

I am looking into a Children’s Bible for our homeschool. I remembered that you posted a recommendation last fall, but didn’t remember which Bible you wrote about. So, anyway, here I am checking back to see what I should get… and I’m wondering. Do you recommend this Golden Children’s Bible over the Fr. Lovasik Catholic Picture Bible? I really do want a children’s BIBLE, not paraphrased stories… I actually haven’t seen any myself, but had the Fr. Lovasik recommended to me elsewhere. Your thoughts?

• Connie Rossini September 10, 2013 at 7:11 pm Reply

Hi, Tamara. I looked at Fr. Lovasik’s Bible a few years ago and didn’t like it as well. In general, his books are really good. I think it was more of a paraphrase of the text. I really like my kids to hear the biblical language, similar to what they would hear in Church (and often times more beautiful than the current translation we use at Mass). I have 3 or 4 other children’s Bibles for middle grades (from 1st Communion’s, etc.) and none of them come close to the Golden Children’s Bible, in my opinion.

• Tamara September 14, 2013 at 4:11 pm Reply

Thanks Connie! That really helps. I also want my children to hear the biblical language. I will be ordering the Golden Children’s Bible today!

3. Kim August 7, 2016 at 3:20 pm Reply

Thank you so much for mentioning the Golden Children’s Bible on the Curriculum Choice blog in regards to the NIV Discoverer’s Bible. It reminded me that I had an old copy in a cedar chest. 🙂

We received a Discoverer’s Bible last fall (2015) with our Sonlight curriculum. I was happy with it at first. Nice pictures and charts. Language much more child friendly than my 1970’s NIV Children’s Bible.
    But I am so thankful that I was having my then 7 year old read passages aloud. The language is simpler, but yet not altogether appropriate. This Bible is recommended for 6-10 year olds. I don’t feel that the word “raped” is necessary for young children in Joseph’s story. Nor do they need to be reading the phrase “had sex with” every time a man is with a woman.
    So we switched to the 1970’s version that uses more difficult but much milder language. I may have to go sit in the bookstore and flip through every children’s version they have. If anyone has any Bible suggestions, I’d appreciate them!

• Connie Rossini August 13, 2016 at 1:00 pm Reply

Yeah, a definite benefit of the “archaic” language is that kids don’t understand the adult parts! The Joseph story is always a hard one with kids. I agree that they don’t need to hear about rape.